Back and Neck Pain After A Car Accident
Our Bronx car accident lawyers handle whiplash and other serious injury claims
Back and neck pain are some of the most common symptoms people sustain due to a car accident. They’re also often misunderstood. You might think back pain or neck pain due to a car crash is not a big deal and nothing to worry about.
Nothing could be further from the truth. In many cases, such pain is a warning sign of a serious back injury or neck injury, including whiplash. And if such injuries are not treated right away, you may end up suffering from serious neck or back problems for a long time, perhaps even for the rest of your life.
We know what’s at stake at Giampa Law. That’s why we want to help. Our experienced Bronx car accident attorneys have been helping people dealing with painful back and neck injuries in New York City for years. As a result, we know how to investigate such cases and thoroughly understand how the legal system works in New York. Count on us when it matters most.
Types of neck pain due to a car accident
Neck pain due to a car accident can cover a wide range. Seek medical attention after your car accident if you feel any of the following types of neck pain:
- Muscle pain – This type of neck pain (often dull pain) can be a warning sign of a muscle tear or sprain in your neck.
- Burning pain – In some cases, chronic whiplash can cause burning pain in the neck or between the shoulder blades after a car accident.
- Nerve pain – Watch out for shooting pain or muscle spasms in your arms, back or neck. This type of pain can be a symptom of nerve damage in the neck.
- Delayed neck pain – Many times, accident victims don’t feel neck pain right away. It can take hours, days, or even weeks to feel serious neck pain due to an accident. If you start experiencing neck pain days after a car accident, make sure you have a medical professional examine you and diagnose exactly what’s wrong.
- Chronic neck pain – Don’t be surprised if you feel pain in your neck long after your accident. This type of pain is often referred to as chronic neck pain and it may require medication or medical treatment to manage.
Neck injuries are also associated with pain in other parts of the body, such as headaches and shoulder pain.
Types of back pain due to a car accident
Back pain caused by a car accident can cover a wide range, including:
- Upper back pain – If you feel pain in the upper part of your back between your shoulder blades, that could be a warning sign that you injured your shoulder or sustained a soft tissue injury in this part of the back. Muscle strain is another common cause.
- Middle back pain – Pain located in the middle part of your back can be a symptom of several different types of back injuries, including a pinched nerve or a herniated or bulging disc in your spine.
- Lower back pain – Many different types of back injuries caused by car accidents result in lower back pain. Lower back pain after a car accident may be a result of muscle or ligament strains, as well as injuries caused by sudden, sharp movements. Such injuries are especially common in rear-end accidents and head-on collisions.
Back pain may develop right away, but just because you don’t feel back pain right away after an accident doesn’t mean you’re okay. It’s not uncommon to experience back pain days after a car accident. If you feel delayed back pain several days or weeks after your accident, don’t simply assume it’s something minor. Talk to a doctor and explain to them exactly how you feel and where you’re experiencing back pain.
Some injuries cause acute back pain (meaning it will go away in time), while others cause chronic back pain. Either way, it’s important you take such symptoms seriously. You shouldn’t have to live with back pain due to a car accident for the rest of your life. Get medical treatment and legal advice.
How long does neck or back pain last after a car accident?
As explained above, back or neck pain due to a car accident can last for weeks, months or sometimes even for years. But no matter how long your pain lasts, it’s critical that you get the medical care you need right away. Even if your pain does not totally go away, doctors can often provide medical treatment that reduces your pain and makes your life more comfortable after your accident.
What medical treatment is available?
There are many different types of treatment available for neck or back pain. Depending on what type of injury you have and what type of pain you’re experiencing, you may need:
- Physical therapy
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic treatment
- Back surgery
- Neck surgery
- Prescription medications for chronic pain
How much is my injury claim worth?
The total value of your injury claim should match the full financial impact of your accident. What many people might not realize is just how many expenses are covered by a car accident settlement or verdict. This includes:
- Total cost of all your injury-related medical care, both immediately after your accident and in the future.
- The cost of repairing your vehicle or purchasing a new one.
- Replacement income if you need time off from work due to your neck or back injury.
- Lost future income if cannot return to work due to a permanent disability that involves chronic pain in your neck or back.
- The value of your pain and suffering, which can be substantial if you have severe or chronic pain.
Add up all of these expenses and your injury could easily be worth thousands of dollars or significantly more. Make sure to put yourself in the best position to get the car accident compensation you deserve. Talk to an attorney right away.
Can I sue for neck or back pain after a car accident?
In many cases, you can file a lawsuit seeking financial compensation (damages) for severe neck or back pain. The key to winning such cases is to gather evidence proving that your car accident injury was the result of negligence on the part of the driver who caused your accident.
This might sound straightforward. But actually proving that the at-fault driver was at fault can be much harder than many people might realize. The at-fault driver’s insurance company will do everything they can to show that their driver did nothing wrong and that they don’t owe you a dime for your injury-related expenses.
This is one of many reasons why you should hire an experienced car accident lawyer to represent you and to fight for the money that’s rightfully yours.
Discover what we can do for you. Contact us.
Many New York City car accident attorneys talk about what they can do for injury victims. We believe actions speak louder than words. When you have our dedicated law firm on your side, you can count on us to build a strong legal case and demand the money you need to treat your neck or back pain.
Get the law firm that gets results in New York City. Get Giampa Law. Contact us and schedule a free case evaluation with a Bronx car accident lawyer you can trust. We have the knowledge, the skills, and the drive you need when you’re suffering from serious neck or back pain.