Do You Have Shoulder Pain After A Car Accident?
Bronx car accident lawyer explains what to know
Shoulder pain after a car accident is one of the most common symptoms. Serious shoulder pain might also be a warning sign of a very serious car accident injury, including a broken shoulder bone or a collarbone injury.
Our dedicated New York City car accident lawyers know how to handle such injury claims. While you’re focusing on getting the medical treatment you need to get better, we can get right to work on your case and demand the maximum financial compensation you deserve. That’s our job and we’re ready to help you.
What are common car accident shoulder injuries?
Shoulder injuries sustained in a car accident can cover a wide range. Some of the most common car accident shoulder injuries include:
- Broken shoulder bone – A painful shoulder injury that may require surgery.
- Labrum tear – Shoulder injury in which the labrum (cartilage in the shoulder joint) is torn. Shoulder labrum tears can range from mild to severe.
- Cartilage tear – Along with labrum tears, other types of cartilage tears can occur as a result of a car accident.
- Rotator cuff tear – The rotator cuff is the group of tendons and muscles that connect the shoulder to the rest of the arm. These muscles and tendons can easily get torn in a serious car accident.
- Dislocated shoulder – Medical term used to describe what happens when the shoulder is pulled out of the shoulder socket. Such injuries can be very painful.
- Frozen shoulder – Medical term used to describe a particular type of injury in which the shoulder cannot move or is “frozen” in place.
Whatever type of shoulder injury you sustained in a car accident, don’t simply assume that your injury is minor and will heal on its own. Have a doctor examine you and diagnose exactly what’s wrong. Otherwise, your shoulder injury might not heal properly and you might continue to experience serious shoulder pain for weeks or even longer after your car accident.
What is the average settlement for a shoulder injury in a car accident?
Like other car accident injury claims, you should be compensated for all your accident-related expenses if you injure your shoulder in a car crash. As a result, you may be eligible to receive thousands of dollars or significantly more. What you might not realize is just how many expenses should be covered by your injury claim. This includes:
All medical care related to your car accident shoulder injury. This includes future, anticipated medical treatments, such as:
- Physical therapy
- Follow-up doctor’s appointments
- Corrective shoulder surgery
- Prescription pain medications
In addition, you should also receive compensation for:
- The cost of repairing your vehicle or purchasing a new one.
- Replacement income if you cannot work while you’re recovering from your shoulder injury.
- Lost future income if you need to change jobs or perform different, lower-paying work due to a permanent shoulder injury.
The bottom line – if your car accident cost you money, you should be reimbursed for all your expenses.
What should I do if I have shoulder pain after an accident?
If you feel pain of any kind in your shoulder after your car accident, take the following steps right away:
- Schedule an appointment with a doctor and tell them you have shoulder pain due to your car accident.
- Ask the doctor to perform whatever medical tests are necessary for diagnosing your shoulder injury, including taking shoulder X-rays if necessary.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions. If the doctor tells you to rest your shoulder and not work for several days or longer, take their advice. Failure to do so could result in your shoulder not healing properly.
- Not following your doctor’s instructions could also jeopardize your injury claim. The insurance company responsible for compensating you for your injury-related expenses might deny your claim on the grounds that you’re not actually injured.
- Contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you have an attorney handling your shoulder injury claim, the better.
Can I sue for shoulder pain from a car accident?
In many cases, you can file a lawsuit seeking damages (the legal term for financial compensation) related to your accident. However, in order to do so, you need to provide evidence demonstrating that the driver who caused your accident was at fault.
This might sound simple if you know that the other driver caused your collision. But actually gathering such evidence in support of your injury claim can be much more difficult than you might expect.
In addition, be prepared for the at-fault driver’s insurance company to do everything they can to discredit your car accident lawsuit. This is why it’s critical that you have an experienced attorney on your side who knows the law and understands how the legal system works in New York.
Discover how a car accident injury lawyer can help. Contact us
Our Bronx law firm knows how to tackle such tough legal cases. Whatever the circumstances of your shoulder injury claim, you can count on us to work hard for you, whether it’s negotiating a settlement offer or fighting for your rights in court.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us and schedule a free case evaluation with a New York City car accident lawyer you can count on when it matters the most. We will demand maximum financial compensation for your shoulder injury.