Hit and injured by a distracted driver? Get a Bronx car accident lawyer.
Our personal injury attorneys can get you maximum compensation
If you or a loved one got hit and injured by a distracted driver, a Bronx car accident lawyer can take control of your claim and fight to get you the highest amount of compensation possible. For more than 30 years, Giampa Law has been winning cases for personal injury victims in the Bronx and throughout New York City. Find out what an experienced Bronx car accident attorney can do for your distracted driving accident claim. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Whenever you’re not paying full attention to the road, you’re at risk of getting into a distracted driving crash. Whether you’re looking at your cellphone or chatting with a passenger, anything that takes your eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, or mind off you’re driving can be considered a distraction.
We live in a fast-paced world – especially in the Bronx and the rest of New York City – where juggling multiple tasks at the same time has become the norm. With that said, distracted driving can be extremely dangerous and have devastating consequences. That’s why no matter what task you’re trying to do – if you’re driving, it can wait.
Some of the most common forms of distracted driving include:
- Texting While Driving
- Talking on a Handheld Mobile Device
- Looking Up Directions on a GPS
- Talking to Passengers
- Personal Grooming
Depending on the specific details of your case, you may be entitled to a significant cash payout. New York law prohibits you from filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver unless your car accident caused you to suffer a “serious injury.” Sometimes establishing whether or not your injuries qualify as “serious” can be tough to decipher, which is why you should consider talking to a personal injury attorney about your case.
In general you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Revenue From Missed Work
- Loss of Earning Capacity
- Replacement Services (e.g., care for children, household chores)
- Property Damage
- Pain and Suffering
- Wrongful Death (for immediate family members of fatal car accident victims)
A good way to find out if you have a case and how much it might be worth is to contact our law firm immediately for a free consultation. Our Bronx car accident lawyers can listen to what happened, talk about your legal options, answer your questions, and help you figure out the best way to move forward.
What are the three different forms of distraction?
There are many different things that can distract you while you’re driving, but overall, they can be grouped into three different categories, including:
- Visual Distractions – Anything that causes you to take your eyes off the road can be classified as a visual distraction. Whether you’re looking at a text message or turning to talk to a passenger, looking away from the road for even a split second while you’re driving is dangerous and may result in a car accident.
- Manual Distractions – When something causes you to remove your hands from the steering wheel as you’re driving, it’s considered a manual distraction. Common types of manual distractions include cellphones and other handheld electronic devices, food and drink, maps, and cigarettes.
- Cognitive Distractions – A cognitive distraction is something that causes you to daydream or become lost in thought while you’re driving. Also known as a mental distraction, a cognitive distraction can include everything from thinking about your job to mulling over what’s going on in your personal life.
Ever wonder why texting and driving is considered more dangerous than drunk driving? It’s because in order to read or send a text on a handheld mobile device, you need to look at your cellphone (visual distraction), pick up your phone (manual distraction), and think about what you just read or are going to send (cognitive distraction). It’s one of the few driving distractions that actually falls under all three categories.
Let a Bronx car accident lawyer take the wheel
When you’ve been injured in a car accident, you should be focused on getting better and trying to move on from your crash – not battling with the insurance company about compensation. A case involving an accident caused by a distracted driver might seem straightforward, but the insurance company has a funny way of turning even the simplest claim into a stressful situation.
Let us deal with it all and advocate for your best interests. Our Bronx car accident lawyers aren’t intimidated by the insurance company and understand the games some of them like to play. We know what evidence to look for and how to build a strong case in your favor that produces real results. Whether it’s at the negotiating table or in court in front of a judge and jury, we will work tirelessly to get you maximum compensation.
Best of all, there are no upfront costs and you pay us nothing unless we win. That’s because we work for our clients on a contingency fee basis. Learn how an experienced Bronx car accident attorney can help with your distracted driving accident claim. Contact us today for a free consultation.