Let a Bronx car accident lawyer help with your hit-and-run claim
Our personal injury attorneys can help you get compensation
If you or a loved one got injured in a hit-and-run crash, a Bronx car accident lawyer can help you figure out the best way to recover the compensation you’re entitled to. For more than 30 years, Giampa Law has been winning cases for personal injury victims in the Bronx and throughout New York City. Learn what an experienced Bronx car accident attorney can do for your hit-and-run claim. Contact us today for a free consultation.
When you get hit by a car and the other driver leaves the scene of the crash without stopping, it’s normal to feel upset, frustrated, and overwhelmed about what to do next. How are you supposed to prove what happened? Who pays for your all your damages? What if police don’t find the at-fault driver? What will the insurance company say?
These are all normal questions to have – but it’s important to remember that no matter what the circumstances are of your hit-and run crash, you have options. Our Bronx car accident lawyers have the knowledge and experience to help you come up with an effective game plan so that you don’t get stuck paying out of pocket for someone else’s reckless actions.
What do you do after a hit-and-run?
If you’re injured in a hit-and-run collision as a pedestrian, bicyclist, or as another driver, try not to panic and do your best to remain calm. Do not attempt to chase after the at-fault driver, no matter what. After that, you should:
- Get a good look at the car that hit you – Try to see if you can identify the make, model and color of the car and, if possible, the license plate number. If you were able to see the driver, make a mental note of what they look like, so that you can give a detailed description to police.
- Call 911 – If you need emergency medical attention, let the dispatcher know right away to request an ambulance. Otherwise, wait for police to arrive and ask any eyewitnesses who saw what happened to stick around so that they can talk to the investigating officer, as well. When police arrive, answer their questions truthfully and give them as much detail about the other driver and their car as you can. Before police leave, ask how you can obtain a copy of the official police accident report.
- Collect evidence – If there are any witnesses, get their names and contact information. After that, take as many detailed pictures of the crash scene as you can. Try to show, in detail, where your hit-and-run occurred and any tire marks, visible injuries or property damage. While it’s still fresh in your mind, write down all the important details of your crash, such as the date, time, location, and what you saw or heard in the moments leading up, during, and immediately after your crash.
- See a doctor – Even if you don’t have any noticeable symptoms or pain, adrenaline may be hiding the fact that you have a serious and potentially fatal injury. Get checked out by a licensed medical professional within 24 hours of your hit-and-run. Attend all your follow-up appointments and keep a record of all your visits. You can never be too careful when it comes to your health.
- Call a lawyer – Whether you lost a loved one in a deadly hit-and-run or you sustained an injury in a crash with a driver who fled the scene, an experienced car accident lawyer can protect your rights, discuss your options, and help you navigate the claims process with the insurance company.
Will my insurance cover a hit-and-run?
Even if police never identify or find the driver responsible for your hit-and-run, you still might be able to recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage by filing an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim with your insurance company.
Under New York law, all drivers are required to carry a minimum amount of insurance, including coverage for crashes with unknown, underinsured, or uninsured drivers. With most policies, your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage should have the same policy limits as your liability coverage.
Get a Bronx car accident lawyer to maximize your claim
Once you’re involved in a hit-and-run with a driver who fails to stop or report the accident to police, you might learn the insurance company is suspicious of your claim. They may ask for more evidence, and even if you provide it – a lot of insurance companies will do everything they can to pay you as little as possible.
Stop jumping through hoops. Our Bronx car accident lawyers know the games insurance companies play, and we know how to handle them. Whether police find the at-fault driver and we help you pursue a lawsuit, or they don’t and we have to guide you through the confusing claims process, our law firm will make every effort to get you the highest amount of compensation possible.
Best of all, there are no upfront costs and you don’t have to pay us anything unless we win. That’s because we represent our clients on a contingency fee basis. Discover how an experienced Bronx car accident attorney can help with your hit-and-run claim. Contact us today for a free consultation.