Slip and Fall Accidents in the Bronx
Our attorneys know how to win
Slip and fall accidents can happen on any property in the Bronx and throughout New York. Slippery conditions or uneven flooring surfaces that were ignored by a property owner can result in serious injuries and damage to personal property. In fact, falls are a leading cause of wrongful death in New York and nationwide. By law, owners of residential, commercial and government property are required to keep their premises clear of dangerous conditions.
Slip and fall accidents may by downplayed, but injuries sustained can include broken bones, fractured hips, back injuries and head injuries. They can happen on residential property, restaurants, bars, hotels, parking lots, and many other types of property throughout New York. Giampa Law has decades of experience handling slip and fall cases. We know how to hold property owners accountable for negligence and win large settlements. Schedule your free consultation with one of our attorneys and see how we can help you.
Why slip and fall accidents happen
Slip and fall accidents are often preventable. They typically happen due to:
- Wet and slippery surface: Water or other liquid spilled on the floor can cause someone to slip. These falls often happen in restaurants and stores. Slippery surfaces are especially dangerous on stairs.
- Uneven surface/Debris: A large crack in a floor or sidewalk, a torn rug, small ditch or debris can cause someone to trip and fall.
- Poor lighting: In dark conditions, dangerous obstacles can be hard to detect.
- Hazardous weather: Snow, sleet, ice and rain can cause sidewalks and stairs to become slippery and uneven.
Who is at fault?
Legally, slip and fall accidents fall under the doctrine of premises liability - whoever owns or manages the premises is responsible for maintaining safe conditions. The property owner can be held accountable if they:
- Are responsible for creating the condition; or,
- Knew that the condition existed, but failed to fix it; or,
- Should have known about a dangerous condition that existed for a long time
If you sustain an injury due to a slip and fall on someone else's property, you could be compensated for your medical expenses, loss of wages and suffering. In order to piece together a solid claim, you must prove that the accident was caused by dangerous conditions and you were unable to anticipate those conditions. You must also proved that you sustained an injury that caused significant losses. Failure to do so in a timely manner can hurt your chances of receiving compensation.
You need to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who can further investigate. At Giampa Law, we'll gather the facts and build a strong case. Put an experienced legal team on your side. Don't hesitate to contact our Bronx office. We want to help you.