NYC Premises Liability Accidents
Bronx premises liability lawyers who put your interests first
New York City property owners have a legal responsibility to keep their properties safe and free of hazardous conditions. When they fail to do so, they can be held legally responsible for their reckless or negligent behavior. That's because such accidents fall under New York's premises liability laws.
Premises liability refers to a type of personal injury caused by another's failure to properly maintain their premises. Premises can include stores, bars, taverns, restaurants, hotels, apartments, houses, buildings, assembly halls, catering halls or even a piece of land without a structure on it. The owners could be an individual, a corporation or a city or municipality.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a premises liability accident in New York, contact Giampa Law. Our experienced Bronx premises liability attorneys handle complex injury accident cases throughout the New York City area - and we have the case results to prove it. We consistently obtain sizable verdicts and settlements for injury victims and their families.
What are common premises liability law cases?
When property owners fail to keep their premises safe, accidents often occur. Situations in which property owners may be held accountable for accidents that happen inside include:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Poorly maintained stairs or carpeting
- Inadequate security in dangerous areas
- Faulty lighting
- Exposure to toxic chemicals or mold
- Asbestos exposure
- Lead poisoning
- Improperly maintained or defective equipment
Outside, situations where property owners may be liable include:
- Uneven pavement
- Snow and ice accumulation
- Poorly maintained landscaping or fallen trees
- Failure to post hazardous condition warnings
- Defective or inadequate lighting
Whatever type of premises liability accident you're dealing with, make sure you get the legal help you need now to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve. In particular, we have extensive experience dealing with slip and fall accidents in the greater New York City area.
Slip and fall accidents in NYC
Slip and fall accidents might seem minor - until you have experienced such an accident yourself. In an instant, you can sustain a serious injury that significantly affects your ability to work and your quality of life. Head injuries, back injuries and hip injuries are common, especially among people working in restaurants, hospitals and other hazardous places in New York. Elderly people also often sustain serious injuries in slip and fall accidents.
Slip and fall accidents can occur almost anywhere - in stores or restaurants, sidewalks or parking lots and any other public or private place that isn't properly maintained. And if you don't successfully obtain compensation for your accident, you could be forced to pay for all your accident-related expenses out of your own pocket.
Examples of publicly owned premises where slips, trips and falls commonly occur in New York City include:
- Public transit system - falls on a train, subway platform, or station stairs, or falls while riding on an MTA bus.
- Sidewalks in front of city buildings - slips, trips & falls resulting from broken or uneven sidewalks, snow that has not been cleared, and obstructions such as trash and debris.
- Public parks/swimming pools - slips, trips & falls resulting from poorly maintained playgrounds/playground equipment.
- Schools & public hospitals - slips, trip & falls in stairways due to worn stair treads, broken hand-railings, improper lighting, loose carpet on stairs, trash or debris in stairwell, and water or other liquid on stairs.
Examples of privately owned premises where slip, trip and falls commonly occur include:
- Supermarkets and bodegas - slips resulting from broken product jars and packages, no warning signs on slippery or wet floors, no protocols for promptly cleaning up spills.
- Malls and retail stores - falls resulting from changes in floor height not marked with warning tape or signs, broken floor tiles or uneven carpeting, poor maintenance of elevator and escalators, falls from failing to clear snow and ice from parking lots and walkways.
- Restaurants - slips and falls resulting from slippery or wet surfaces
Wherever your accident occurred, whatever the circumstances, makes sure you take your case seriously right from the start. Make sure you contact Giampa Law.
Why choose us
Just because you sustained a serious injury on someone else's property, don't automatically assume that you will be fairly compensated for your injuries. In many cases, property owners will deny doing anything to cause your accident. As a result, their insurance company will use such an explanation as an excuse for reducing or denying your claim.
Insurance companies don't scare us. We know how to take them on and win. As your attorney, we can negotiate directly with insurance companies on your behalf. And if they refuse to cooperate with us, we're prepared to file a premises liability lawsuit on your behalf and take them to court.
Remember, you didn't do anything wrong. You shouldn't have to pay for a property owner's reckless or negligent behavior. Schedule a free case evaluation at our Bronx office location. We can also meet with you in your home, your hospital room or wherever works best for you.