Drunk Driver Pedestrian Accidents in New York
Our Bronx law firm gets results for injured pedestrians
Drunk drivers are one of the biggest dangers faced on New York roadways. Driving while under the influence of alcohol can impair a motorist's ability to stop for pedestrians, especially at night or when visibility is otherwise limited. Drunk driving is against the law, but too many New York motorists break the law and put others at risks.
If you have been injured after being hit by a drunk driver in New York City, take your claim seriously from the start. A highly skilled, Bronx pedestrian accident attorney at Giampa Law will aggressively pursue your case. With decades of experience handling drunk driver cases, our law firm gets results for injured pedestrians in New York City. Contact us today.
What should I do if a drunk driver hits me?
If you are a pedestrian in New York City and a drunk driver hits you, it’s critical that you take certain steps right away to protect your health and your rights:
- Call the New York City Police Department (NYPD) Drunk driving is a serious crime in New York. If you believe a driver under the influence of alcohol caused your pedestrian accident, call 911 right away.
- Ask the police to send an ambulance if believe you have a serious injury. Don’t take chances with your health. Have a medical professional examine you right away and diagnose what’s wrong.
- If someone saw your pedestrian accident, get their name and phone number. Statements from eyewitnesses can be important pieces of evidence in injury claims involving drunk drivers.
- Do not approach the driver who caused your accident. Wait for police to arrive. Drunk drivers can often be aggressive and unpredictable. Don’t become involved in a confrontation with a drunk driver.
- Tell the investigating police officer you think the driver who caused your pedestrian accident was under the influence of alcohol. That way, the investigating police officer will perform the necessary tests at your crash site to determine if the driver was drunk, including performing a breathalyzer test to measure a driver’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
- Get the driver’s personal information (name, address, driver’s license number, insurance information) from the investigating police officer.
- Don’t discuss your accident with anyone at the crash site. Anything you say could later be used as evidence to reduce or deny your injury claim.
- Get the investigating NYPD police officer’s badge number. That way, you can contact them later if necessary to get a copy of your official New York accident report.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with a doctor. Many pedestrian accident injuries take a few hours or days to develop. Get a doctor’s second opinion.
- Take your doctor’s advice. Failure to do so could hurt your recovery and your ability to be financially compensated for your injury-related expenses.
- Contact an experienced New York City pedestrian accident lawyer. The sooner you have an attorney investigating your case, the better.
Who determines who is at fault?
Pedestrian accidents caused by a drunk driver are almost always investigated by the police. In New York City, this means that an NYPD police officer will likely respond to your accident and fill out an official accident report.
What you might not realize is that report is only part of the process for determining who was at fault in your pedestrian accident. The at-fault driver’s insurance company often has a lot to say when it comes to who was ultimately at fault.
This is very important since the driver’s insurance company is responsible for paying for your injury-related expenses. As a result, many insurance companies do everything they can to reduce or deny pedestrian injury claims, even if their client was clearly drunk or otherwise negligent.
There’s too much at stake to leave your pedestrian injury claim to chance. Talk to an experienced New York City pedestrian accident lawyer to learn more about how we can help you with your drunk driving injury claim.
How Giampa Law can help
After you've been hit by a drunk driver, you should always seek immediate medical attention. Contact the police and take pictures if you're able to. If there are eye witnesses nearby, take down their information. The action you take immediately will greatly determine the outcome of your claim. We'll handle the rest so you can focus on recovery.
If you were involved in a hit-and-run or the driver was uninsured, you can still be compensated. New York law requires drivers to carry Supplementary Underinsured/Uninsured Motorists coverage (SUM). This policy covers $25,000 per person and $50,000 per occurrence. But that doesn't guarantee that all of your medical expenses, loss of wages, or suffering will be covered. That's why you need Giampa Law on your side. We'll fight to maximize your compensation.
We'll hold drunk drivers accountable
If your injury was caused by the negligence of a drunk driver, there is rarely any doubt that they're at fault. But the driver's insurance company will still attempt to lower their costs by downplaying or denying your claim. They may offer you a low-ball settlement and say that you don't need an attorney. Don't let them take advantage of you. Schedule a free consultation with our trusted law firm. We'll build a strong case and fight for the full compensation of your medical expenses, loss of wages, and suffering. If the insurance companies refuse to pay, we'll take the case to trial.
Contact us today at our Bronx office. If you're currently seeking medical treatment, we'll come to your hospital or home. We are dedicated to helping victims of drunk driving in and around the Bronx. We will fight for the justice you deserve for your New York City pedestrian accident.