Bronx Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Our attorneys proudly serve injured cyclists hit by cars
Our Bronx bicycle accident lawyers at Giampa Law have spent our careers fighting for the rights of injury victims throughout New York City. That's because we believe strongly in standing up for innocent injury victims.
In nearly every case, bicycle accidents occur because of mistakes made by drivers. But just because someone clearly caused your bicycle accident does not automatically mean that you will be fairly compensated for your injuries. In most cases, you have to demand the money you rightfully deserve for your accident.
Our bicycle accident attorneys know how the legal system works in New York City. That's because we have handled numerous cases here over the years. We know what strategies work and what approach to take to maximize settlements and verdicts for injury victims, especially those who were seriously injured because a vehicle hit their unprotected bodies. Our firm also handles pedestrian accidents in the Bronx and throughout New York City.
Common causes of bicycle accidents
Like other New York City boroughs, the Bronx has many bicycle paths connecting parks and other green spaces, including Van Cortlandt Park and the Bronx River Pathway. But getting to and from these places can be very hazardous, especially since many drivers "don't see" cyclists, as they often say after an accident.
Cyclists are often hit by cars in New York City because of:
- Distracted drivers
- Drivers opening parked car doors without looking
- Speeding drivers
- Drivers who tailgate cyclists
- Aggressive drivers
However your New York City bicycle accident happened, make sure you take your case seriously right from the start. Make sure you contact Giampa Law.
Common bicycle accident injuries
Cyclists have little protection in a car vs. bicycle accident. They often sustain serious injuries, including:
- Head injury, including concussion or other type of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Arm injury, including broken arm or wrist.
- Leg injury, including severe leg pain, broken leg, or another type of bone fracture.
- Severe bruising.
- Back injury, including spinal cord injury.
Whatever type of New York City bike injury you sustained, make sure you take your injury seriously right away. Make sure you get immediate medical care and take other, important to steps to protect your rights after your bicycle accident.
What should I do after my New York City bicycle accident?
Make sure you take your bike accident seriously right from the start. If you’re hit by a car while on a bike, take these steps right away:
- Call the police and tell them you have been in a bicycle accident caused by a driver.
- If you’re hurt in a hit and run bicycle accident, don’t try to pursue the driver. Get as much information on the vehicle as possible and let the police handle it.
- Ask the police to send an ambulance to your bike accident. You could have a serious injury and not even realize it. Have a medical professional examine you right away. And if they think you have a serious injury, seek immediate medical treatment at NYC Health + Hospitals/North Central Bronx or another, nearby emergency room hospital.
- Give the investigating police officer your full name, address and phone number.
- Get the same information from the driver who caused your bicycle accident, plus the driver’s insurance information and driver’s license number.
- If you don’t feel comfortable asking the driver for such information – or you are too injured to do so – get the driver’s information from the investigating NYPD officer.
- Make sure you get the investigating police officer’s badge number. That way, you can contact the NYPD officer later and obtain a copy of your official New York accident report and make sure it’s accurate.
- Don’t discuss your bicycle accident with anyone other than the investigating officer. Anything you say could later be used to reduce or deny your injury claim.
- If you have insurance, contact your insurance company and tell them you were injured in a bicycle accident caused by a driver.
- Contact a New York City bicycle accident lawyer. The sooner you have an attorney handling your case, the better.
How much is my bicycle accident worth?
There’s no set dollar amount when it comes to bicycle accident injury claims. Each one is different. Some might be worth a few thousand dollars. Others might be worth significantly more. What matters is you should be compensated for all your injury-related expenses. What you might not realize is just how many expenses you can be compensated for if you have been hit by a car or injured in some other way in bike accident. Such expenses often include:
- The cost of all your medical care, including emergency medical treatment and on-going future medical care.
- Replacement income if you cannot work while you’re recovering from your bicycle injury.
- Future income if you cannot return to work due to a permanent disability sustained in your bike accident.
Ultimately, the way to maximize bicycle accident claim payouts is to get the right legal representation. We know how to build strong cases that get real results for injured cyclists and families of fatal bicycle accident victims.
How we can help with your bike accident
The biggest reason why you need a lawyer after your bicycle accident involves drivers who claim they did nothing wrong. In fact, some drivers who dislike cyclists might even try to blame you for causing your collision.
But even if the driver who caused your crash admits wrongdoing, there's no guarantee that you will be fully compensated for all of your bicycle accident-related expenses. That's because insurance companies will do whatever they can to deny or reduce claims filed by injured cyclists, simply because these companies want to maximize their profits.
We know how to take on insurance companies and win. We know how to find the facts that matter and aggressively negotiate with insurance companies. And if they won't cooperate, we're prepared to take them to court and file a bicycle accident lawsuit on your behalf. Schedule your free case evaluation right now with a Bronx bicycle accident lawyer who knows how to win. We're here for you when you need us most.