Bronx birth injury attorneys who fight for justice
The birth of a child should be a joyous occasion for women and families. That's why injuries sustained during childbirth or birth defects can be so upsetting for many parents. Instead of celebrating the birth of a baby, many parents must now deal with serious medical emergencies or perhaps even lifelong medical problems.
Knowing what to do in such situations can be extremely confusing. Even knowing whether you have the right to take legal action against the doctor or hospital that cared for you and delivered your baby might not be clear. That's why it's critical that you talk to an attorney who understands how the legal system works and what your rights are in medical malpractice cases.
In New York City, parents dealing with birth injuries can rely on the expertise of the attorneys at Giampa Law. Based in the Bronx and serving families throughout the NYC area, our birth injury attorneys have decades of experience handling such complex cases. We know how the legal system works and know what it takes to win. Find out what we can do for your family. Contact us today.
What are common birth injuries?
Sometimes, birth injuries or defects are a natural result of the birthing process. A baby may suffer a physical or mental injury or deformity simply as a result of being born. However, some birth defects or deformities are a result of medical negligence, meaning the baby would have been born healthy if the hospital or doctor didn't make a mistake.
Some common causes of birth injuries and defects include:
- Particularly large babies
- Premature birth - born before 37 weeks
- Prolonged labor - multi-hour/day labor
- Size & shape of mother's pelvis - not adequate for vaginal delivery
- Breech deliveries - buttocks first rather than headfirst
- Toxic chemical exposure - from contaminated air or groundwater
- Negligently prescribed medications - some drugs, such as SSRIs, may cause adverse effects
There are appropriate medical responses to each of these risk factors. When obstetricians and delivery nurses overlook critical evidence or respond inappropriately, injuries can follow. Some common birth injuries and defects include:
- Forceps marks - bruising and scarring to the baby's face and head.
- Fractures - Collarbone fractures are most common during labor and delivery
- Capute - severe swelling of soft tissue on baby's scalp
- Cerebral palsy - fetal distress resulting in lack of oxygen and brain damage
- Facial paralysis - damage to facial nerves, torn nerves may require surgery
- Clubfoot - the foot appears rotated internally at the ankle
- Skeletal defects - parts of the skeleton structure do not properly form
- Spinal bifida - bones of spine do not properly form
- Autism - a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by impaired social interaction, verbal and non-verbal communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior
- Omphalocele - intestine is outside the body
Whatever type of birth injury or birth defect you're dealing with in the Bronx or elsewhere in New York, contact our law firm. We're here for you when you need us most.
How we can help you
The primary reason why you need us on your side often involves the fact that many doctors and other medical professionals will often not admit doing anything wrong when it comes to the birth of your child.
Instead of admitting they made a mistake, most health care providers and hospitals will deny wrongdoing or try to downplay their involvement in your child's health issues. They do this since they want to avoid having to pay you a sizeable settlement or verdict for their mistakes. And that's why they often hire entire teams of attorneys to defend their actions.
We know how to take on health care providers and win. We know what evidence to look for and we frequently consult with board-certified doctors and other medical experts when building a legal case. Schedule your free case evaluation today at our Bronx office. You only have a limited amount of time to take legal action under NY State's Statute of Limitations laws.