We Get Results for Concussions from NYC Car Accidents
Our Bronx lawyers can handle your head injury claim
Serious car accidents in New York City often cause serious head injuries. In an instant, you or a loved one can sustain a concussion or another type of brain injury due to a serious accident. Suddenly, you might have bad headaches after a car accident or other painful medical issues.
When this happens, it’s critical that you get medical attention right away. Many car accident head injuries can have serious consequences, especially if you have a life-threatening head injury that isn’t diagnosed right away.
And whatever type of head injury you sustained in a car accident, make sure you fully understand your legal rights. Make sure you talk to a New York City car accident lawyer at Giampa Law in the Bronx. We have years of experience handling complex injury claims involving concussions and other types of serious head injuries due to car accidents.
What is a concussion?
A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury (TBI) caused by a blow to the head. People in car accidents may sustain concussions by hitting the head on a window, seat, steering wheel, or another part of the vehicle. But even if you didn’t hit your head, if your head moved violently forward and back during the crash, that can be enough to cause a brain injury.
While sometimes referred to as a mild TBI, a concussion can be very serious. There is no such thing as a minor brain injury.
This is why it’s important to have a doctor examine you right away and diagnose exactly what’s wrong. Otherwise, your medical issues might get worse and could even result in permanent brain damage in some cases. This is especially true if you have previously had a concussion. Multiple concussions can have serious and even fatal consequences.
What are the warning signs of a concussion after a car accident?
Immediately after your car accident, you might notice certain symptoms often associated with a concussion. Or, you might feel fine for now: symptoms may take several hours or days to develop. This is why it’s important to pay close attention to such signs of a concussion after a car accident. These symptoms include:
- Headaches after the car accident
- Dizziness or feeling lightheaded
- Drowsiness or feeling very tired
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sensitivity to bright light or loud noises
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory loss or confusion
You know your body best. If something doesn’t feel right, see a doctor right away after your car accident. You could have a serious concussion that requires immediate medical care.
What should I do if I think I have a concussion?
If you believe you sustained a concussion in a car accident, make sure you take these steps right away for your own health and well-being.
- See a doctor as soon as you notice anything wrong. If your car accident just happened and you’re still at the scene of the crash, ask the EMT or another medical professional to examine you right away.
- Listen to the people around you. Concussions can cause changes in mood or personality. If the people who know you best notice that something is off, get checked out by a doctor.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with a doctor. Even if a doctor has already examined you, get a second opinion. Many times, the symptoms of a concussion take time to develop.
- If doctors are not sure if you have a concussion, ask them to run medical tests. Such tests may include neurological exams (check your vision, hearing, and balance), cognitive tests (measure your memory and concentration), and brain imaging tests (cranial computerized tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)).
- Take your doctor’s advice. If they tell you to stay home and rest, follow their instructions. If you don’t do so, you might not fully recover and may suffer from bad headaches or other painful medical issues.
Another reason why it’s critical that you follow your doctor’s instructions is the insurance company responsible for compensating you might deny your claim. They know brain injuries are expensive, and they will look for any excuse to reduce or deny your compensation. That’s also why you should contact an attorney right away. The sooner you have a New York City car accident lawyer helping you, the better.
How much is my concussion car accident settlement worth?
There’s no set dollar amount when it comes to injury claims involving concussions and car accidents. The consequences of a serious head injury can be life-altering. What matters is you should be financially compensated for all your injury-related expenses. Such expenses can include:
- Total cost of your medical care, including past, present, and future medical treatments.
- Repairing or purchasing a new vehicle.
- Replacement income if you cannot work while you’re recovering from your concussion, which is very common since concussion treatment often involves taking time to rest and recover.
- Lost future income if you cannot return to work or if you cannot work full time or need to change jobs due to your head injury.
Add up all these expenses and the total financial impact of your concussion can easily add up to thousands of dollars or significantly more. And if you don’t take strong legal action, you might not get the money you rightfully deserve.
Why should I hire a lawyer?
You might think you don’t need an attorney if another driver clearly caused your car accident, which resulted in your concussion. Unfortunately, many injury claims often turn into complicated legal cases. This is often because the insurance company responsible for compensating you often does everything they can to reduce or deny your concussion claim.
We know the tricks insurance companies play. That’s why we have such a strong track record of success. When you have our experienced, New York car accident attorneys on your side, you can demand the money you deserve for your concussion. Contact our law firm and schedule a free case evaluation with a Bronx car accident lawyer you can trust. We have the knowledge, the skills, and the drive you need to succeed.