Commercial Vehicle Accidents in New York
Trusted law firm proudly serving the Bronx and beyond
Due to the size and weight of commercial vehicles, truck drivers are held to a high standard. A seemingly small act of negligence from the driver – or their company – can result in a catastrophic accident. The injuries sustained in commercial vehicle accidents are often serious or even fatal.
Commercial vehicle accidents can be far more complex than passenger vehicle accidents. There are usually more parties involved such as the driver’s company, other companies, the trucking company’s insurance, and even other motorists. A highly skilled commercial vehicle accident attorney at Giampa Law will pursue your case. With decades of experience and knowledge of New York’s legal system, we know how to handle the most complex cases.
What causes commercial vehicle accidents?
Commercial vehicle accidents can occur for a number of reasons, with different parties at fault. They’re usually caused by:
- Distracted driving: Commercial drivers who drive while distracted put themselves and other drivers at risk.
- Speeding/reckless driving: Due to the size and weight of commercial vehicles, drivers are expected to drive responsibly and maintain a safe speed.
- Drowsy driving: Falling asleep at the wheel can result in a catastrophic collision, especially if the sleepy driver doesn’t hit the brakes before impact.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol: Driving while intoxicated is not only dangerous, but illegal.
- Driver is inexperienced: Trucking companies are expected to hire well-trained and experienced drivers. Failure to do so puts others in danger.
- Vehicle is defective or not properly maintained: If a commercial vehicle is defective or not properly maintained, trucking companies can be held responsible for any accidents caused.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s commercial vehicle regulations prohibit the use of handheld devices and limit the number of hours a driver can operate in a 24-hour period. When a driver or company fails to abide by these regulations, they can be held accountable. With knowledge of commercial vehicle regulation, an experienced truck accident attorney at Giampa Law will gather the facts and build a strong case.
How we handle commercial vehicle accidents
Unlike passenger vehicle accidents, there are usually many parties involved in a commercial vehicle accident. You’re not just dealing with the driver and their insurance company. In most cases, the trucking company will use their own team of investigators and attorneys. Following an accident, they’ll launch an investigation within hours – which always yields results in their favor. Their insurance companies are quick to offer a small settlement in hopes to make your claim disappear.
If you have been injured in a commercial vehicle accident, you should never accept a settlement. As the medical expenses accumulate and you’re unable to attend work, the financial burden can wreak havoc on your life. That’s why you need our trusted law firm to handle your case. We’ll hold trucking companies – and their drivers – accountable. You shouldn’t have to suffer because of someone else’s negligence. Contact Giampa Law today and find out how we can help you.