Spinal Cord and Brain Injuries in Motorcycle Crashes
Get an experienced Bronx motorcycle accident lawyer on your side
A motorcycle accident in the Bronx or anywhere in New York City can leave motorcyclists with very serious injuries. Some of the most concerning are spinal cord and brain injuries, which can be life-altering. When these injuries were caused by a negligent driver, victims deserve financial compensation.
But recovering financial compensation can be a very complicated process. Negligent drivers deny responsibility for what happened. Insurance companies will dispute your claim because they know there’s a lot of money at stake. That’s why you need an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer to guide you through the process. Giampa Law is ready to fight for you.
Spinal cord injuries in a motorcycle accident
The spinal cord serves a vital function. It is a long bundle of nerves that sends messages from the brain to the rest of the body. It is protected by the spinal column, which is constructed from a series of small bones called vertebrae. Between the vertebrae are discs, which provide cushioning during movement and have a jelly-like core.
A spinal cord injury is very serious. The injury can be “complete,” which means that signals from the brain can no longer reach parts of the body below the location of the injury. Or it can be “incomplete” – some signals can still get through.
People with a spinal cord injury can suffer paralysis. Types of paralysis include quadriplegia, in which there is a loss of voluntary movement in both the upper and lower parts of the body, and paraplegia, in which there is a loss of voluntary movement in only the lower parts of the body. People with an incomplete spinal cord injury may experience reduced movement and sensation as a result of nerve damage.
Signs and symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- extreme pain that is felt in the head, back, or neck
- tingling sensation or loss of feeling in the fingers, feet, or toes
- loss of control over part of the body
- reduced ability to control the bladder or bowels
- difficulty with balance or walking.
When diagnosing a spinal cord injury after a motorcycle accident, a doctor will conduct an examination and test movement and sensory function. Imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs are often used as well.
Brain injuries in a motorcycle accident
The brain is the source of all of our thoughts, feelings, sensations, movement, and behavior. That’s why a head injury during a car accident is so concerning. If there is damage to the brain, it can impact your life in many different ways.
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can result from a blow or jolt to the head during a crash. While a helmet provides some protection, a brain injury from a motorcycle accident can still happen. In an open head injury, the skull is fractured or penetrated by an object in a crash. In a closed head injury, there is damage from the head hitting an object or the road.
Different types of brain injuries include:
- Coup-Contrecoup – The impact of a crash sends the brain crashing into one side of the skull and then back against the other side.
- Skull fracture – The skull is broken, and fragments can damage the brain.
- Concussion – This is bruising of the brain when a motorcyclist suffers trauma to the head. A concussion from a dooring accident is common, for example.
- Contusion – This is serious bruising that happens from severe trauma to the head in a crash.
- Hematoma – Swelling occurs when blood pools in the brain or between the brain and skull.
- Nerve damage – The connecting nerve fibers in the brain are affected.
- Secondary damage – Other injuries or infection may result in a lack of oxygen (hypoxia), swelling, pressure in the skull, or infarction (death of brain tissue).
When diagnosing a brain injury after a motorcycle accident, a doctor will conduct an examination. There may also be imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs. The doctor may also conduct a neurological exam to evaluate thinking, movement, and other brain functions.
Schedule a free consultation with an attorney today
At Giampa Law, our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Our legal team investigates your crash to get the facts. We gather evidence, review accident reports and medical records, interview witnesses, and consult accident reconstruction experts, if needed.
The cost of treatment and support for a spinal cord or brain injury can be very high. Our lawyers fight for the compensation you deserve for all current and future medical expenses related to your injuries. This includes surgery, hospitalization, medication, home health equipment, home health care, and follow-up appointments. We also fight for compensation for other damages you suffered, such as lost income and pain and suffering.
If you suffered a serious injury in a Bronx motorcycle accident, learn more about how we can help. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer.