How can I rebuild my life after a serious car accident injury?
You may already be aware of the standard steps you should take immediately after a crash. For example, you may already know that you’re required to call the police and exchange insurance information with the other driver. You may already know that you should take pictures of the crash scene and exchange contact information with witnesses.
These actions can have a positive impact on your car accident claim. If you sustained severe injuries, you may not be able to follow any of these procedures, however. You could wake up in a hospital bed without any recollection of what happened. You may have sustained one or more of the following:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Soft tissue injury
- Internal organ damage
So how do you navigate a car accident claim without documenting the crash scene or speaking to witnesses?
You can get a copy of the police report
When a crash occurs, a police officer will arrive at the scene to document the details and question witnesses. A police report provides unbiased evidence about how your crash occurred and who was at fault.
Your police report may include:
- The direction both cars were traveling and/or facing at the time of the crash
- Any injuries or deaths that occurred
- Physical indicators of how the crash occurred (tire marks in the road and damage to roadside structures)
- Any citations issued or arrests made
- Admittance of fault from the driver who caused the crash
- Witness statements
- Weather and road conditions that may have contributed to the crash
You may obtain your police report online at the NYPD website within the first 30 days of your crash. After that, your police report must be obtained from the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.
How can I pursue a car accident claim?
You may be wondering what you can do to help build a strong legal claim. The answer is simple: hire an experienced Bronx car accident attorney and focus on your recovery. Do not speak to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Anything you tell them can hurt your chances of obtaining compensation. Let your attorney handle your claim for you by doing the following:
- Launching a thorough investigation into your crash and gathering evidence of negligence. For example, if your crash was caused by distracted driving, your attorney can subpoena cellphone records.
- Tracking down witnesses and asking them what they saw
- Reconstructing the crash scene by examining physical details
- Bringing evidence against the at-fault driver and negotiating with the insurance company for a fair settlement
What damages can I be compensated for?
Your attorney can help you obtain compensation for:
- Medical expenses – both current and future
- Wage loss due to missed days at work
- Loss of employment or loss of future earnings
- Pain, suffering, mental trauma, emotional anguish, and loss of life enjoyment
- Punitive damages – if your crash was caused by reckless behavior
To get started on your claim, contact us in the Bronx, New York. Our legal consultations are confidential and free of charge.